Quick Telecast
Expect News First

Australians urged to remember Korean War

0 32


Australians are being encouraged to reflect upon the nation’s involvement in the Korean War in the lead up to Anzac Day.

Minister for Veterans Affairs Andrew Gee says Sunday marks the anniversary of the Battle of Kapyong, where 32 Australians lost their lives in the defence of the South Korean capital, Seoul.

“I urge all Australians to take time today to reflect on all those who served … in what was one of the most important battles of the Korean campaign and all those Australians deployed during the Korean War,” he said on Saturday.

Watch the Federal Election 2022 on Channel 7 or stream it for free on 7plus >>

“The Korean War is often described as ‘the forgotten war’ but it is our duty to ensure all those who served, gave their lives, were wounded or taken prisoner are remembered and honoured.”

When hostilities erupted in June 1950, Australia quickly committed personnel as part of a United Nations force to defend South Korea.

The 3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment was positioned in the Kapyong Valley as a buffer against the communist advance towards Seoul the following April.

Chinese troops attacked Australian positions on the 23rd.

With Canadian and New Zealand reinforcement, the advance was halted two days later but not before 32 Australians were killed, 59 injured and three taken prisoner.

More than 17,000 Australians served in Korea in total. Of them, more than 1200 were injured, 340 killed and 30 captured.

There are still 42 troops listed as missing in action.

Meanwhile, the NSW opposition is calling for the establishment of a memorial in Sydney to honour Australians who served in the Middle East campaigns of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Labor leader Chris Minns also says a national war cemetery, first proposed by the NSW government last year, needs to be established in Sydney.

“Across Australia memorials have been erected dedicated to remembering the sacrifice of Australian soldiers, nurses, personnel and those who have died in war, as well as the men and women who have served for our country,” he said.

“It is time NSW has a significant memorial for the recent Middle East conflicts too.”

Elsewhere, 16 local government areas across the state are to benefit from funding for conservation work to existing war monuments.

NSW Veterans Minister David Elliott says more than $125,000 has been awarded in the latest round of funding, with individual grants ranging from $3000 to $10,000.


Australians are being encouraged to reflect upon the nation’s involvement in the Korean War in the lead up to Anzac Day.

Minister for Veterans Affairs Andrew Gee says Sunday marks the anniversary of the Battle of Kapyong, where 32 Australians lost their lives in the defence of the South Korean capital, Seoul.

“I urge all Australians to take time today to reflect on all those who served … in what was one of the most important battles of the Korean campaign and all those Australians deployed during the Korean War,” he said on Saturday.

Watch the Federal Election 2022 on Channel 7 or stream it for free on 7plus >>

“The Korean War is often described as ‘the forgotten war’ but it is our duty to ensure all those who served, gave their lives, were wounded or taken prisoner are remembered and honoured.”

When hostilities erupted in June 1950, Australia quickly committed personnel as part of a United Nations force to defend South Korea.

The 3rd Battalion Royal Australian Regiment was positioned in the Kapyong Valley as a buffer against the communist advance towards Seoul the following April.

Chinese troops attacked Australian positions on the 23rd.

With Canadian and New Zealand reinforcement, the advance was halted two days later but not before 32 Australians were killed, 59 injured and three taken prisoner.

More than 17,000 Australians served in Korea in total. Of them, more than 1200 were injured, 340 killed and 30 captured.

There are still 42 troops listed as missing in action.

Meanwhile, the NSW opposition is calling for the establishment of a memorial in Sydney to honour Australians who served in the Middle East campaigns of Iraq and Afghanistan.

Labor leader Chris Minns also says a national war cemetery, first proposed by the NSW government last year, needs to be established in Sydney.

“Across Australia memorials have been erected dedicated to remembering the sacrifice of Australian soldiers, nurses, personnel and those who have died in war, as well as the men and women who have served for our country,” he said.

“It is time NSW has a significant memorial for the recent Middle East conflicts too.”

Elsewhere, 16 local government areas across the state are to benefit from funding for conservation work to existing war monuments.

NSW Veterans Minister David Elliott says more than $125,000 has been awarded in the latest round of funding, with individual grants ranging from $3000 to $10,000.

FOLLOW US ON GOOGLE NEWS

Read original article here

Denial of responsibility! Quick Telecast is an automatic aggregator of the all world’s media. In each content, the hyperlink to the primary source is specified. All trademarks belong to their rightful owners, all materials to their authors. If you are the owner of the content and do not want us to publish your materials, please contact us by email – [email protected]. The content will be deleted within 24 hours.

Leave a comment
buy kamagra buy kamagra online
Ads Blocker Image Powered by Code Help Pro

Ads Blocker Detected!!!

We have detected that you are using extensions to block ads. Please support us by disabling these ads blocker.

Powered By
Best Wordpress Adblock Detecting Plugin | CHP Adblock